When Operating Boom Lifts no matter how much experience you have with Cherry Pickers or Aerial Work Platforms (AWP) in general, it is important to take every safety precaution possible. Operating machinery can always be dangerous, but when you are operating at extreme eights you have to be extra cautious.
Aerial Lifts Are:
Aerial lifts can be vehicle-mounted, boom lifts or aerial platforms, such as cherry pickers or bucket trucks, used to access utility lines and other high above ground work areas. The major causes of fatalities are falls, electrocutions, and collapses or tip overs. Employers must take measures to ensure the safe use of aerial lifts by their workers if they are required to use this equipment in the course of their employment.
- Make sure that employees who operate Boom Lifts are properly trained in the safe use of the equipment.
- Maintain and operate elevating work platforms according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Never override the hydraulic, mechanical, or electrical safety devices.
- Never move the Boom Lift with workers in an elevated platform unless this is permitted by the manufacturer.
- Do not allow workers to position themselves between overhead hazards, such as joists and beams, and the rails of the basket. Movement of the lift could crush the worker(s).
- Maintain a minimum distance of at least 10 feet away from the nearest energized overhead lines.
- Always treat power lines, wires and other conductors as energized, even if they are down or appear to be insulated.
- Use a body harness or restraining belt with a lanyard attached to the boom or basket to prevent the worker(s) from being ejected or pulled from the basket.
- Set the brakes and use wheel chocks when on an incline.
- Use outriggers, if provided.
- Do not exceed the load limits of the equipment. Allow for the combined weight of the worker, tools and materials.
These are some of the important tips to remember when you are using Boom Lifts. Please check out one of our many Boom Lift classes to learn more about how to operate, maintain, and practice safe Boom Lift operation.